Monday, August 4, 2014

Ways to teach (sight words): #4

Activity #4: Spider Web
This is acutely one of the ideas that I did in my sixth grade class that I implemented for a five year old.  Ok, Ok, I know you are thinking why was she doing a spider Web in sixth grade but this was on of our brain brakes that we would do to help us focus more, but what we did was we all got in a circle and we had yarn and through it to a person and said something nice to them take some yarn and warp it arond your finger and throw it to another person and say something nice to them, then some people would stand up and our teacher would then pick a person to go through it and give someone a high five and then at the end we would go backwards and the person that said something nice to us we would say something nice to them.  So I decided I would do something like this for my brother.  So I got his flash cards and taped them around the room (yes, flash cards and tape are my BFFs when it comes to teaching) then he got a ball of yarn and if he could read the word he would tape it by the word and go to a different word ACROSS THE ROOM (this is very important if you want it to look like the spider web, it doesn't have to be completely across the room but you get the idea) read that and then tape it and continue on.  After he had done all of them then he tried to get through and then we went backwards reading them undoing it (I would really recommend going backwards because it can get really tangled if you don't) What great fun.        

No comments:

Post a Comment