Sunday, August 3, 2014

Ways to teach (sight words): #1

 For money this summer I decided that I would tutor my five year old brother (with the permission of my parents)  One thing that I think school could do a better job of is making learning a little more fun.  So what I decided is that when I taught my little brother I wouldn't just make him read his sight words 5 times and then be done for the day.  I would do activities.
                                                           
                                     Activity #1: Sight Word Twister
I was thinking how I could teach my little brother his sight words making it fun and so I went and looked on pintrest and was scrolling down and saw twister and I thought I could make this game into teach sight words. I copied his sight words into flash cards and then taped one word to each color.  I would spin the wheel and have him put the hand or foot on the word that I said.  Something that I found as I was teaching him was that he liked me to do the same thing I was making him do so we would take turns spinning and when he spun he would have his flash cards and show me and tell me the word he wanted me to go on.   It worked great!   

Another thing we did was we had him match his flash cards to the words on the mat and then have him read them.




No comments:

Post a Comment